Pages

Thursday 8 December 2011

Review of "The Secret Letter of the Monk Who Sold His Ferrari" by Robin Sharma


I would like to dedicate this blog to a very special person, my lovely sister-in-law, Sophia Meinam. Thank you sis for being such a wonderful person to me, for treating me so nicely, for your hospitality and above all for making me really happy.  Thank you God.
        Now about the book, I will simply say another gem (or Diamond) from a wonderful person. A powerful book from a great man. Robin Sharma is my Guru, although I haven’t met him. I know that Mr. Robin Sharma doesn’t like to be addressed as Guru but I can’t help myself calling him by that name. He has been my leading light since October 2009. My life has turned from the worst to the best. I have read almost all his books. The result which I can feel within me is that I am really happy in my life.  
        If you read his books you will realise that life is a gift given to you by a very special person so you will tend to use this gift more carefully than ever before. This book is also not different in theme from other books of his. Yet he tends to tell it in such a refreshing, new and innovative way that you can’t stop yourself from reading it.
        The book begins like most of the other books of Mr. Robin Sharma. An unhappy man with his wife and his children in his life. However, as the story progresses you will be spellbound by the magical storytelling ability of Robin. You won’t be able to avoid the book umtil you have finished it. In this book you will learn about the different cultures, places of interest, topography of varied places, history of different countries like Istanbul, Paris, Kyoto, Sidney, Mexico, India, Shanghai, etc. Well you would like to visit all these places someday soon after reading this book. You will see glimpses of Japanese culture in this book. The patience of Japanese has been immortalized in this book.
        The theme of the book is how to lead a happy life (instead of successful life). What is the value of being successful if you are unhappy in your life? This point is reinforced in this book. It also provides you the techniques, methodology, process of how to lead a happy life.  Everybody wants to be happy. But a few people experience true happiness. If you read this book you will find the secret ingredients of happiness. Indeed, this theme has been mentioned by Robin Sharma in his earlier books. But the way this wisdom is presented to us in this book is very refreshing as well as interesting. It contains some important messages.
        The messages are
1.  The power of authenticity
2.  Embrace your fears
3.  Live with kindness
4.  Make small daily progress
5.  To lead your best life, Do your best work
6.  Choose your influence well
7.  Life’s simplest pleasures are life’s greatest joy
8.  The purpose of life is to love
9.  Stand for something bigger than yourself.
These messages are given to us through the protagonist.

        Well it is a very well written, lucid as well as interesting book. You can finish it at one sitting. It will entertain you, challenge you, let you think higher and improve you. That is the quality of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment